Saturday, October 12, 2013

This journey has been a painful one and a joyful one !


“Will I ever feel pretty???”

 I don’t mean to the outside world, I mean to myself and to my husband? 
Behind closed doors?  
 I wonder for only moments and then I put it out of my mind. 
I do not want to dwell on it or focus on the thought and get depressed, so I push it out of my mind. 

 I still see the “sick girl” when I look in the mirror, 
I see the short hair, the scars, the pain, 
the reconstruction and the enormity of what happened to me. 
I feel different and I look different.
  The outside world sees me wrapped in my disguise of clothes.
Oh sure my close friends and family can tell when I am having a bad day. 
But, I am to a point now, where most days I probably look normal to people. Other than my hat/scarf combo or my Wig,
my body and face look pretty much normal.
So for now, I push the thought out as fast as it came in. Because right now....
 I am focusing on healing, 
eating right, yoga, meditating, work when I can, rest when I 
                       can and do not worry about the rest. 

Time will heal my body and my scars, and maybe my mindset. 
But 1 year into this journey - every once in awhile, I still ask myself 
“Will I ever feel pretty???” 
   I hope so - one day, but I know I will  be okay - regardless. 

Having Cancer....
 has been life changing, physically, mentally and spiritually.  
Those are not just empty words
I mean TRULY life changing
My closet friends and family will see a different person. Others may not notice.
 
But, it is subtle and within me and it feels wonderful. 

My perception of life and how I spend my time, who I spend it with and how I want to live each day has changed.  A catastrophic illness changes every one. 
Some for the worse – others for the good.

My cancer is gone, 
but it led me to a place spiritually and mentally I could never have imagined. 
A very content and spiritually alive place. 

I will meditate and I will do yoga for the rest of my life. 
I have found they both heal and make me feel gooood from the inside – out. 

I do not Sweat the little things anymore. 
Because that’s what they are – little things. 
I do not worry about anything like I used to. Worry will not change the outcome.
 But positive energy and being still in my mind (with meditation) can make all the difference in the world on how I react. 
And sometimes how you react to something can make the event worse or better.


I chose to take on this cancer battle, with a winning spirit. 
How could I approach it any other way? 
And I have won! 
       I beat the cancer and I have grown 
to a new place in my life – that I Love. 
I call that a Win Win situation. Don’t you? 


Thank you God, and all my family & friends for walking this journey with me. I have needed every one of you - to help me stay positive and keep fighting the fight. 
Peace and Joy to you all! !

3 comments:

  1. And thank you God for allowing Kelly to grow and become a stronger woman throughout all of this ordeal.

    Love you Kelly!!!

    Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Kelly! I was just reading up on few of your posts and had quick question about your blog. I was hoping you could email me back when you get the chance, thanks!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily if you will give me your email address, I will write. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete